Skip to main content

Words to live by.

Many of you know my philosophy on life.
  • Don't grow old it's a waste of time
  • I don't doubt the existence of God, but his line is always busy, and his voice mail is full. At least they are when I call.
  • If there is a God, his only commandment was, "I'm giving you this planet with all of its possibilities and assets. Don't fuck it up."
  • All of the problems in the world are caused by 5% of the people. Depending on the problem you may be counted in the 5%.

Some problems are caused by groups that defy my 5% rule but don't blame my math, blame reality TV. Remember Donald Trump didn't invent himself. He had parents and odds are somehow, someway they were dysfunctional.

We don't fix anything anymore. There are potholes galore in every street in America. We have bridges falling, and we still don't fix the ones that are standing, no matter how many are killed when they fall.

We are afraid of everything. We became that way when we began to believe in the 1% rule. The 1% rule is that when confronting a difficult decision if there is a 1% chance that the thing we're looking at (War with Iraq WMD) could be a problem than protective actions should be taken.
Bike helmets, constant parental supervision of kids, searching luggage at airports, putting drug users in jail, etc. The list of so-called preventative prohibitions is long and their outcomes admittedly not that useful.
I wish we listened to the thoughtful people who ask for compassion, love and kindness to rule our lives. Instead, there are too many of us acting like kids after the pinata breaks and spews candy all over the ground. We dive in and grab as much as we can.

But enough about us, let me ruminate on us.

5%er's that PO me this week. Not to get all Andy Roonyish here, but what is it with drivers who come upon a closing lane and immediately speed up to the merge point, and then barge into the front of the line? They do this while passing some people who have already merged into the proper lane with the assistance of kind people who are already there.  These people are the reason that, besides concealed carry, it should be legal to have fender guns to blow their silly asses off the highway.

People who don't like puns haven't got a punny bone in their body.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have married until I was forty. And I have to face it, I was barely mature enough then.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diversity

As we look forward to celebrating the Pride we have in our Gay population, (Yeah, I couldn't resist the pun.) I'm pleased to report that diversity in the mix of our residents here in the Fox River Valley continues to surprise me. Example: As my wife and I waited for friends, in the lobby of the Marcus Hollywood Theater on the west side of Appleton, I witnessed three AfricanAmericann ladies buying snacks. Behind them was a Latino couple. At the end of the line, behind was an Asian fellow with three kids. We represented the WASP's. This is in a community that when I first visited in the nineteen sixties, if a black man walked down the street, he more than likely played football for Green Bay. After that, there was a rather pronounced immigration of Hmong and quieter arrival of Latino's. For a while, the worst keep secret was that the new Italian restaurant was actually owned by Mexican's. Since returning to the Valley, I've grown use...

A rustle in the hustings

I am trying to stay away from politics on my blog. I know that some of my intended readers do not share my feelings. As well, I don't entice dialogue. Occasionally my readers will address something I've written about. For the most part, they are merely saying something like, "Oh yeah, I felt that way too," regarding some experience, that I related. However, I have to share these particular feelings about the new Ryan Healthcare proposal that is sailing through the House of Representatives. Market-driven healthcare provision: This concept proposes that if put on the free market health care insurance will become more affordable. The theory is there will be competition among insurers to gain market share and lowering the prices will be a possible outcome. None of the insurers want customers who are old people or people with a pre-existing health problem ( heart disease, cancer, etc...) Older people, who are not on medicare, have more health care ne...

I Can See The End Of The Road

 Pam and I have been working from home on the line by line edit of my novel 26 Women . When we work, she is at home looking at the latest draft I've emailed her and I'm at home looking at the same version.  It's like being back in one of Marshall Cook's gatherings. Marshall ran the Writers Institute in Madison for a number of years. Participants would come with a short piece and exchange them with the others. He would moderate a discussion of the entries that would allow the writers to get input on their work. It's always interesting how readers will misunderstand the brilliance of your writing. Or put another way, how your writing will defy explanation.  Pam will ask me some form of the question, "What are you trying to say here?" We usually ended up rewriting a word, sentence, or paragraph. Only occasionally, the work would stand scrutiny and remain unchanged. I also seem to go into a coma using commas. I tend to sprinkle them like fairy dust in hopes th...