Skip to main content

Another Day at the Golf Course

If it were possible to define heroism in sports, you have to give a nod to sports that are played as individuals. You are on center court, the final hole or the last lap. The goal and the outcome are in your hands. You are pursued or maybe even behind other competitors who want to win as badly as you do. All eyes are on you. Television sets around the world bring your effort to millions more onlookers. There is no Hail Mary in your play book unless you can throw and catch the ball yourself. It’s just suck it up and put it out there for better or worse.

Last weekend, at the most prestigious Open Championship, a young American Golfer showed what courage, grit, and determination can yield.

After spraying a tee shot over the crowd and into the utility area of the course, Jordan Spieth hit an acceptable shot to get back in play. He followed that with an excellent approach and nasty little putt. And for his efforts, he surrendered the lead for the first time in the tournament. Improbable as that hole was, what followed was so unbelievable that if pitched for a movie script it would have been turned down as being fanciful and naive.

Spieth hit his next shot six feet from the pin on the par three. The ball came to within inches of hitting the flag where it might holed out for an ace. He sunk the putt for a birdie.

On the next hole, he put his second shot in a reasonable position on the par five to expect another birdie. Instead, he sunk the 48 footer for a two under par eagle. He birdied Sixteen and Seventeen, pared the Eighteenth and won the tournament by three strokes.

Most experts thought with a three stroke lead on the final day, Spieth would win. He had all aspects of his game in hand. He played marvelous golf for three days. However, his fourth round was not a thing of beauty. His tee shots were not finding the fairways. His drive on thirteen was, according to Johnny Miller, golf commentator, “the worst drive he had ever seen in professional golf.” His putter up until the 48 footer on fifteen was on again off again including missing a brush-in putt.

It’s worth mentioning the Matt Kuchar, his playing partner, was trying his damnedest to win also. If it hadn’t been for Spieth’s ability to turn his game around, Kuchar would be our winner today.

People often ask me why I enjoy Professional golf so much. After all, it’s not a contact sport, it takes a long time to play a round and it can be tedious to watch. Like a one run baseball game. You have to be able to appreciate the craftsmanship of the players. What they do is not as easy as they make it look

I play the game and I have since I was nine years old. I know how good these guys are and how hard it is to remain consistent. Golf balls are round, but they roll on uneven surfaces. Nothing is guaranteed after you hit it. Anything can, and often does, happen that surprises you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diversity

As we look forward to celebrating the Pride we have in our Gay population, (Yeah, I couldn't resist the pun.) I'm pleased to report that diversity in the mix of our residents here in the Fox River Valley continues to surprise me. Example: As my wife and I waited for friends, in the lobby of the Marcus Hollywood Theater on the west side of Appleton, I witnessed three AfricanAmericann ladies buying snacks. Behind them was a Latino couple. At the end of the line, behind was an Asian fellow with three kids. We represented the WASP's. This is in a community that when I first visited in the nineteen sixties, if a black man walked down the street, he more than likely played football for Green Bay. After that, there was a rather pronounced immigration of Hmong and quieter arrival of Latino's. For a while, the worst keep secret was that the new Italian restaurant was actually owned by Mexican's. Since returning to the Valley, I've grown use...

A rustle in the hustings

I am trying to stay away from politics on my blog. I know that some of my intended readers do not share my feelings. As well, I don't entice dialogue. Occasionally my readers will address something I've written about. For the most part, they are merely saying something like, "Oh yeah, I felt that way too," regarding some experience, that I related. However, I have to share these particular feelings about the new Ryan Healthcare proposal that is sailing through the House of Representatives. Market-driven healthcare provision: This concept proposes that if put on the free market health care insurance will become more affordable. The theory is there will be competition among insurers to gain market share and lowering the prices will be a possible outcome. None of the insurers want customers who are old people or people with a pre-existing health problem ( heart disease, cancer, etc...) Older people, who are not on medicare, have more health care ne...

Ring The Bell

 It appears there is a tradition in the radiology department at Ascension Hospital that patients, upon completing their course of treatment, ring a bell. ( We know not for whom this bell tolls.) Ring the Bell with My Sweetheart Jeanne. Jeanne drove me to all but two of the appointments. Pam Frautchi took me to the other two. Today, after being zapped thirty-two times, I rang the bell. This begins a roughly one-month recovery period where the effects of the radiation abate and, I'm assured, a return to normalcy occurs. In my case, I anticipate more energy and greater awareness. Books, Books, & More Books I am simultaneously celebrating the end of the third year of volunteering for the All Saints Hunger Book Sale. Next week, we will wrap up the preparation for the sale and open our doors on August 3 for the public. I ran into this humourous but quite accurate cartoon on a T-Shirt that shows most of the volunteer's sentiments at this point. If you think the printed and bound p...