Skip to main content

It's A Punderful Life

 


It's over. The Holiday Season is complete. We are now into 2021, and anticipation of a better time is running around like a puppy dog looking for the ball that's rolled under the bushes.

Now, except for an expected couple of million deaths due to  COVID and no one knows what the mad king will do in the next couple of weeks, we should be okay to get together in groups by, shall we say, next fall. In between now and next fall, we'll have more time to contemplate our navels and dive into Introspection 5.0.

Introspection 5.0 allows those who have completed introspection 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, et al. until 4.9 to proceed. At this point, some of us navel-gazers will be seeing the face of Jesus, or maybe George Carlin. A lot of this will depend on your navel, is it an inny or outy.

I anticipate more certified master bakers in the US and a thriving black market in sourdough starters. Because they will try to avoid complying with the FDA guidelines on this product, convictions for selling sourdough starter will exceed convictions for marijuana possession.

Watch for pop up movie showings as people, who really only go movies for the popcorn, are lured into vacant warehouses and abandoned churches to watch bootleg copies of the latest releases from Hollywood, Bollywood, and The EU.

The fan in the stands will become part of the historical myth that we built around romancing sports fan participation. We are finding we don't need them. Even though the effect of having a stadium filled with full-throated fans is debatable, the idea that sports producers did get the crowd to pay big money to be bit actors in the drama was unique.

However, COVID has allowed professional sports experts to figure out that the revenue stream for pay-for-view exceeds ticket sales. They get the added benefit of not losing 80% of the final price for tickets because of scalping. The teams don't have to worry about fans becoming plaintiffs in legal filings because of alleged injuries. 

And then there are all of those expensive stadiums. We have in our homes TV screens that literally make the players appear bigger than life. How much would the owners of teams save if we didn't have stadiums?

Where would they play? They could build a regional TV studio, especially for broadcasting sports.  Rain delays, wind conditions, and dehydrating heat would all be problems in the past. They could build them in small remote communities because they wouldn't have to worry about fans. They could revive the economy in hard-hit rural America, similar to building a prison. The players would live in dormitories on-site and get conjugal visits just like the convicts.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diversity

As we look forward to celebrating the Pride we have in our Gay population, (Yeah, I couldn't resist the pun.) I'm pleased to report that diversity in the mix of our residents here in the Fox River Valley continues to surprise me. Example: As my wife and I waited for friends, in the lobby of the Marcus Hollywood Theater on the west side of Appleton, I witnessed three AfricanAmericann ladies buying snacks. Behind them was a Latino couple. At the end of the line, behind was an Asian fellow with three kids. We represented the WASP's. This is in a community that when I first visited in the nineteen sixties, if a black man walked down the street, he more than likely played football for Green Bay. After that, there was a rather pronounced immigration of Hmong and quieter arrival of Latino's. For a while, the worst keep secret was that the new Italian restaurant was actually owned by Mexican's. Since returning to the Valley, I've grown use...

A rustle in the hustings

I am trying to stay away from politics on my blog. I know that some of my intended readers do not share my feelings. As well, I don't entice dialogue. Occasionally my readers will address something I've written about. For the most part, they are merely saying something like, "Oh yeah, I felt that way too," regarding some experience, that I related. However, I have to share these particular feelings about the new Ryan Healthcare proposal that is sailing through the House of Representatives. Market-driven healthcare provision: This concept proposes that if put on the free market health care insurance will become more affordable. The theory is there will be competition among insurers to gain market share and lowering the prices will be a possible outcome. None of the insurers want customers who are old people or people with a pre-existing health problem ( heart disease, cancer, etc...) Older people, who are not on medicare, have more health care ne...

Ring The Bell

 It appears there is a tradition in the radiology department at Ascension Hospital that patients, upon completing their course of treatment, ring a bell. ( We know not for whom this bell tolls.) Ring the Bell with My Sweetheart Jeanne. Jeanne drove me to all but two of the appointments. Pam Frautchi took me to the other two. Today, after being zapped thirty-two times, I rang the bell. This begins a roughly one-month recovery period where the effects of the radiation abate and, I'm assured, a return to normalcy occurs. In my case, I anticipate more energy and greater awareness. Books, Books, & More Books I am simultaneously celebrating the end of the third year of volunteering for the All Saints Hunger Book Sale. Next week, we will wrap up the preparation for the sale and open our doors on August 3 for the public. I ran into this humourous but quite accurate cartoon on a T-Shirt that shows most of the volunteer's sentiments at this point. If you think the printed and bound p...