Skip to main content

If She Calls Me Dad...

 ...she will pay for Brunch. I'm just saying. (She did.)

Radiation Treatments:

I'm not glowing in the dark yet. As I write this, I've had seven radiation treatments. Besides being on a first-name basis with Earl, the guy that follows me in the treatment lineup, there is little to report. Aside from getting my shoes off, lining me up on the table, and cautioning me not to move, it's a short process. The scheduled time for this procedure is fifteen minutes.

Baseball Report:

Because the Brewer game with the Pirates was not accessible to us, we ended up watching the Wisconsin Women's Softball High School Div 3 championship game featuring Brodhead and Mayville. 

The game featured two teams with different approaches. Brodhead had a pitcher, McKenna Young. She pitched the entire game (7.5 innings, One inning longer than the regulation 7). Mckenna recorded 16 strikeouts, 1 walk, and 2 hits in that span.

Mayville counted on their defense. Their pitcher, Allie Schwartz, posted 1 strikeout, 1 walk, and 9 hits. Despite the number of hits Allie allowed, the game was nil to nil at the end of regulation 7 innings.

Brodhead won the game with a walk-off double in the first extra inning that scored a runner from third.

The game was exciting and instructive. I can't remember when I saw the pros bunt a runner ahead. This game was loaded with bunts and runners advancing on wild pitches. While there were a few opportunities, I saw only one double play. It wasn't that these ladies didn't have the talent. Softball is a different game. 

First of all, you can't hit a softball as far as you could hit a standard hardball. The left field line at Goodson Field, where the UW College team plays games, is only 200 feet. Centerfield is slightly longer. Players have to catch the outfield playing shallow and hit the ball over their heads to get anything other than a single.

No pitch clock. No restrictions on checking the runners on base. And yet the game progressed at a brisk pace.

I link you to this since two of my kids, Mary Jo and Sean, graduated from Kaukauna.

https://www.postcrescent.com/picture-gallery/sports/high-school/baseball/2022/06/11/photos-kaukauna-vs-superior-wiaa-division-1-state-softball-semifinal/7574696001/

And the Brewers beat the Pirates 5-4😎

All Saints Hunger Book Sale

This week my fellow volunteers and I will gather in the lower level of All Saint on the corner of Juneau and Marshall to evaluate the condition, sort, and price donated books. The first week in August, they will go on sale. The proceeds are donated to various organizations that feed the homeless, the disabled, and house-bound seniors. If I remember correctly, we raised over twenty-six thousand dollars last year.

Interesting side story about the Booksale Experience.

When people ask us where we met, my lady friend Jeanne and I answer, "In church."

Now it is true we did meet at the book sale effort, and neither of us is a member of All Saints. In fact, we don't belong to any church. Our satisfaction comes from helping the church in a worthwhile effort to help those in need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diversity

As we look forward to celebrating the Pride we have in our Gay population, (Yeah, I couldn't resist the pun.) I'm pleased to report that diversity in the mix of our residents here in the Fox River Valley continues to surprise me. Example: As my wife and I waited for friends, in the lobby of the Marcus Hollywood Theater on the west side of Appleton, I witnessed three AfricanAmericann ladies buying snacks. Behind them was a Latino couple. At the end of the line, behind was an Asian fellow with three kids. We represented the WASP's. This is in a community that when I first visited in the nineteen sixties, if a black man walked down the street, he more than likely played football for Green Bay. After that, there was a rather pronounced immigration of Hmong and quieter arrival of Latino's. For a while, the worst keep secret was that the new Italian restaurant was actually owned by Mexican's. Since returning to the Valley, I've grown use...

A rustle in the hustings

I am trying to stay away from politics on my blog. I know that some of my intended readers do not share my feelings. As well, I don't entice dialogue. Occasionally my readers will address something I've written about. For the most part, they are merely saying something like, "Oh yeah, I felt that way too," regarding some experience, that I related. However, I have to share these particular feelings about the new Ryan Healthcare proposal that is sailing through the House of Representatives. Market-driven healthcare provision: This concept proposes that if put on the free market health care insurance will become more affordable. The theory is there will be competition among insurers to gain market share and lowering the prices will be a possible outcome. None of the insurers want customers who are old people or people with a pre-existing health problem ( heart disease, cancer, etc...) Older people, who are not on medicare, have more health care ne...

Ring The Bell

 It appears there is a tradition in the radiology department at Ascension Hospital that patients, upon completing their course of treatment, ring a bell. ( We know not for whom this bell tolls.) Ring the Bell with My Sweetheart Jeanne. Jeanne drove me to all but two of the appointments. Pam Frautchi took me to the other two. Today, after being zapped thirty-two times, I rang the bell. This begins a roughly one-month recovery period where the effects of the radiation abate and, I'm assured, a return to normalcy occurs. In my case, I anticipate more energy and greater awareness. Books, Books, & More Books I am simultaneously celebrating the end of the third year of volunteering for the All Saints Hunger Book Sale. Next week, we will wrap up the preparation for the sale and open our doors on August 3 for the public. I ran into this humourous but quite accurate cartoon on a T-Shirt that shows most of the volunteer's sentiments at this point. If you think the printed and bound p...