Skip to main content

You Can Run, But You Can Not Hide

 



Twice, I have attended a hootenanny in Kenosha. My access to this event came from my girlfriend, Jeanne Kornkven. While she is no longer active, her mother, Marialyce, was a founding member and organizer of this group for over 30+ years. Jeanne and I attended for my first time this last spring. 

As it turns out, It is similar to my association with The Expansion Band in the Fox Valley. While The Expansion Band meets in members' homes every week on Wednesdays, this group meets once a month in a public museum on the Lakefront in Kenosha.

The format is similar. In each case, They use a huge book of songs built over the years, almost like the fabled songbook of the participant's lives. In the case of Kenosha, the songs are scripted on a theme by the leaders. Later it's open to suggestions from the members. The selection in The Expansion Band is made by going around the room and asking each member what they would like to play.

In both cases, talent and experience are appreciated but not necessary for participation. Well, you have to know that otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to join, would I? 

On the first trip to Hootenanny, I tapped my foot in time to the music and sang along as best I could. On my most recent trip, I brought my harmonicas. Even though I was out of the shadow of my friend and first chair harmonica with The Expansion Band, Lee Nimmer, I tried to contribute without embarrassing myself. I'm not ashamed to say I did pretty well.

The Hootenanny draws from a wide area around Kenosha. However, two of us were surprised during the go-around introductions. Dan Geddes introduced himself as a former resident of The Fox Valley, currently living in Milwaukee. After a brief discussion during a break, we discovered we knew a few people in common. Dan told me that while Lee Nimmer might not remember him, Dan is an admirer of Lee. Dan was also familiar with Greg Forton.

Dan and I discussed trying to find like-minded musicians in the Milwaukee area.

The story that just keeps on growing.

Put this in the category of, if you don't laugh, you'll cry.

Last week I reported on the theft of my ladyfriends car. I mentioned that the joy riders removed a cover from a windshield instrument array. We guessed they thought there was a camera with a recording device that might lead to them being identified.

They were wrong. Yes, they removed a sensing device, but it doesn't function as a dash cam. It tracks the 'fog line' on the side of the road and sends a warning if you drift over it. It also tracks the center line and warns if you drift over that area. Finally, it senses when you are closing too fast on the car in front of you. In other words, it is safety equipment.

They took the camera out. It would be mounted on the left-hand side of the array in the photo.

The part to replace it is $150.00. The charge to install it is $1000.00. Total repair for both instruments: $1600.00

Pass the facial tissue, please.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diversity

As we look forward to celebrating the Pride we have in our Gay population, (Yeah, I couldn't resist the pun.) I'm pleased to report that diversity in the mix of our residents here in the Fox River Valley continues to surprise me. Example: As my wife and I waited for friends, in the lobby of the Marcus Hollywood Theater on the west side of Appleton, I witnessed three AfricanAmericann ladies buying snacks. Behind them was a Latino couple. At the end of the line, behind was an Asian fellow with three kids. We represented the WASP's. This is in a community that when I first visited in the nineteen sixties, if a black man walked down the street, he more than likely played football for Green Bay. After that, there was a rather pronounced immigration of Hmong and quieter arrival of Latino's. For a while, the worst keep secret was that the new Italian restaurant was actually owned by Mexican's. Since returning to the Valley, I've grown use...

A rustle in the hustings

I am trying to stay away from politics on my blog. I know that some of my intended readers do not share my feelings. As well, I don't entice dialogue. Occasionally my readers will address something I've written about. For the most part, they are merely saying something like, "Oh yeah, I felt that way too," regarding some experience, that I related. However, I have to share these particular feelings about the new Ryan Healthcare proposal that is sailing through the House of Representatives. Market-driven healthcare provision: This concept proposes that if put on the free market health care insurance will become more affordable. The theory is there will be competition among insurers to gain market share and lowering the prices will be a possible outcome. None of the insurers want customers who are old people or people with a pre-existing health problem ( heart disease, cancer, etc...) Older people, who are not on medicare, have more health care ne...

Ring The Bell

 It appears there is a tradition in the radiology department at Ascension Hospital that patients, upon completing their course of treatment, ring a bell. ( We know not for whom this bell tolls.) Ring the Bell with My Sweetheart Jeanne. Jeanne drove me to all but two of the appointments. Pam Frautchi took me to the other two. Today, after being zapped thirty-two times, I rang the bell. This begins a roughly one-month recovery period where the effects of the radiation abate and, I'm assured, a return to normalcy occurs. In my case, I anticipate more energy and greater awareness. Books, Books, & More Books I am simultaneously celebrating the end of the third year of volunteering for the All Saints Hunger Book Sale. Next week, we will wrap up the preparation for the sale and open our doors on August 3 for the public. I ran into this humourous but quite accurate cartoon on a T-Shirt that shows most of the volunteer's sentiments at this point. If you think the printed and bound p...