Skip to main content

Crazy Day's

 It was the perfect alignment of the stars that presented me with well-separated visits to my doctors and clinicians in one day. 

First, a visit with my nurse to have a port inserted into my pod. Then, they will take a blood sample to inform the application of my immunotherapy later.

Then, it's down to have a P-scan of my bladder to see if the treatments are affecting my Cancer. Here's where the baby fell out of the buggy.

I was informed that the cup of coffee I had was okay, but the sugar and cream were not. After much consultation, we went ahead with the scan after testing my blood sugar. Was it low enough? Viola! It was. But, we had delayed the procedure, so the results couldn't be shared with me. My Doctor was overbooked. Come back next week. 

That's one thing about Cancer: you get used to experiencing it. You're always waiting for the results of a test that determines whether you're going to live or die.

To be fair, the technician who read my P-scan published her opinion on my web record. The problem is that it might as well be published in Latin. Laden, with technical terms, the report meant nothing to me.

I did get my Keytruda, the immunotherapy drug, along with getting a window seat so I could enjoy the wild turkeys invading the neighborhood. Since my bag lunch of freshly popped popcorn wasn't enough, I got to double-dip the tray. 

Present Music

Presented at the MAM on Sunday, October 29, 2023.

This group was unknown to me. They evidently promote and produce different forms of music. In our case, they commissioned a composer to write a musical background for a classic silent film. The film was a 1926 comic satire of what happened to Viena when all Jews were expelled. The amazing thing was how accurately the film predicted the coming Holocaust in Germany under Hitler. 

This film was both humorous and threatening. The timing amid the Israeli-Hamas War created another monster under the bed feeling. Undoubtedly, the showing in the Calatrava at the Milwaukee Art Museum added to the epic feel of the production.

The music was played live. But for all the discussion about the dissonance and sound affect nature of the piece, it blended in with the action and mood of the film to serve its purpose to contribute but not dominate

MUST READ

NYT David Brooks 11/02/2023

Dealing with hatred, anger, rage, and trying to be the best version of a human being we can be.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/02/opinion/resilience-bad-news-coping.htm



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diversity

As we look forward to celebrating the Pride we have in our Gay population, (Yeah, I couldn't resist the pun.) I'm pleased to report that diversity in the mix of our residents here in the Fox River Valley continues to surprise me. Example: As my wife and I waited for friends, in the lobby of the Marcus Hollywood Theater on the west side of Appleton, I witnessed three AfricanAmericann ladies buying snacks. Behind them was a Latino couple. At the end of the line, behind was an Asian fellow with three kids. We represented the WASP's. This is in a community that when I first visited in the nineteen sixties, if a black man walked down the street, he more than likely played football for Green Bay. After that, there was a rather pronounced immigration of Hmong and quieter arrival of Latino's. For a while, the worst keep secret was that the new Italian restaurant was actually owned by Mexican's. Since returning to the Valley, I've grown use...

A rustle in the hustings

I am trying to stay away from politics on my blog. I know that some of my intended readers do not share my feelings. As well, I don't entice dialogue. Occasionally my readers will address something I've written about. For the most part, they are merely saying something like, "Oh yeah, I felt that way too," regarding some experience, that I related. However, I have to share these particular feelings about the new Ryan Healthcare proposal that is sailing through the House of Representatives. Market-driven healthcare provision: This concept proposes that if put on the free market health care insurance will become more affordable. The theory is there will be competition among insurers to gain market share and lowering the prices will be a possible outcome. None of the insurers want customers who are old people or people with a pre-existing health problem ( heart disease, cancer, etc...) Older people, who are not on medicare, have more health care ne...

Ring The Bell

 It appears there is a tradition in the radiology department at Ascension Hospital that patients, upon completing their course of treatment, ring a bell. ( We know not for whom this bell tolls.) Ring the Bell with My Sweetheart Jeanne. Jeanne drove me to all but two of the appointments. Pam Frautchi took me to the other two. Today, after being zapped thirty-two times, I rang the bell. This begins a roughly one-month recovery period where the effects of the radiation abate and, I'm assured, a return to normalcy occurs. In my case, I anticipate more energy and greater awareness. Books, Books, & More Books I am simultaneously celebrating the end of the third year of volunteering for the All Saints Hunger Book Sale. Next week, we will wrap up the preparation for the sale and open our doors on August 3 for the public. I ran into this humourous but quite accurate cartoon on a T-Shirt that shows most of the volunteer's sentiments at this point. If you think the printed and bound p...