Skip to main content

Kitchen Work

A couple of things have changed since I began cooking again. For you folks who click but don't necessarily read my missive every week, a few weeks ago, I began cooking for myself and my mate, Jeanne. Cooking for two opens up challenges that cooking for one never approaches. But first, a little background about life with Jeanne before I volunteered to take over in the kitchen.

Jean owns a beautiful vintage home on the lower east side of Milwaukee. When she bought it, the upstairs was a separate apartment. Today, it's where one or both cats go to hide. Jeanne lives on the lower floor, which consists of a bedroom, living room, kitchen, and an enclosed back porch. Hanging from the handle of the freezer door is a towel. The inscription on the towel reads, "The only reason I have a kitchen is that it came with the house."  Jeanne admits she consumed frozen dinners before we agreed I would cook for us. She favors low-calorie meals with lots of fruits and vegetables.

On the other hand, I restrict d myself to two meals a day. I cooked meals in batches and refrigerated or froze my leftovers. I like meat, potatoes, and some vegetables. I understand it's fashionable not to count iceberg lettuce as anything but a way to consume salad dressing without looking like a pig. For me, a green salad is a vegetable.

We were brought up by mothers who cooked standard American midwestern food. I curate an evergrowing batch of online dishes that she suggests, or I find in my wanderings through the various online sites that have found me in their rabbit holes.

Outside of traditional folk meals from her German background and my trying to perfect Cajun dishes, we have yet to venture too far from things our mothers might have whipped up.

We have both eaten some things we have never eaten or consumed for a long time. I made Ground Beef Stroganoff. She introduced me to sweet potatoes. I  like a lot of rice dishes. She prefers Pasta or whipped potatoes.

We write a weekly menu and then shop for what we need. My portion control button appears disconnected, as the refrigerator has ample leftovers. 

Recently, we agreed to a night out once a week. We both enjoyed a trip to MOMO MEE. They serve an ample amount of food. We returned with enough Ramen and Pork with Noodles for two more meals. We probably shouldn't have had the dumplings for a starter.

On The Easel:


KittyInTheCloset
9 X 12 Gouache.


HangingOut:

Jeanne & Ricky
Reading Together








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diversity

As we look forward to celebrating the Pride we have in our Gay population, (Yeah, I couldn't resist the pun.) I'm pleased to report that diversity in the mix of our residents here in the Fox River Valley continues to surprise me. Example: As my wife and I waited for friends, in the lobby of the Marcus Hollywood Theater on the west side of Appleton, I witnessed three AfricanAmericann ladies buying snacks. Behind them was a Latino couple. At the end of the line, behind was an Asian fellow with three kids. We represented the WASP's. This is in a community that when I first visited in the nineteen sixties, if a black man walked down the street, he more than likely played football for Green Bay. After that, there was a rather pronounced immigration of Hmong and quieter arrival of Latino's. For a while, the worst keep secret was that the new Italian restaurant was actually owned by Mexican's. Since returning to the Valley, I've grown use...

A rustle in the hustings

I am trying to stay away from politics on my blog. I know that some of my intended readers do not share my feelings. As well, I don't entice dialogue. Occasionally my readers will address something I've written about. For the most part, they are merely saying something like, "Oh yeah, I felt that way too," regarding some experience, that I related. However, I have to share these particular feelings about the new Ryan Healthcare proposal that is sailing through the House of Representatives. Market-driven healthcare provision: This concept proposes that if put on the free market health care insurance will become more affordable. The theory is there will be competition among insurers to gain market share and lowering the prices will be a possible outcome. None of the insurers want customers who are old people or people with a pre-existing health problem ( heart disease, cancer, etc...) Older people, who are not on medicare, have more health care ne...

Ring The Bell

 It appears there is a tradition in the radiology department at Ascension Hospital that patients, upon completing their course of treatment, ring a bell. ( We know not for whom this bell tolls.) Ring the Bell with My Sweetheart Jeanne. Jeanne drove me to all but two of the appointments. Pam Frautchi took me to the other two. Today, after being zapped thirty-two times, I rang the bell. This begins a roughly one-month recovery period where the effects of the radiation abate and, I'm assured, a return to normalcy occurs. In my case, I anticipate more energy and greater awareness. Books, Books, & More Books I am simultaneously celebrating the end of the third year of volunteering for the All Saints Hunger Book Sale. Next week, we will wrap up the preparation for the sale and open our doors on August 3 for the public. I ran into this humourous but quite accurate cartoon on a T-Shirt that shows most of the volunteer's sentiments at this point. If you think the printed and bound p...